Lawyers guide people through the legal processes and even prevent the legal issues from coming in. A lawyer can help you write a will, sell a business or buy a home and can also help you when you get injured or if you are charged with a crime or when you are getting a divorce. So, any legal problem can be addressed by the lawyer.
The roles and responsibilities of lawyers by Ronald Ozer
Legal cases often tend to be frustrating, time-consuming and complicated. In case you have a legal problem then a lawyer can explain the legal problems and how the law applies to your situation. Mentioned below are some of the common roles and responsibilities of lawyer:
- Explain the law to the client
- Protect the legal rights of the client
- Tell the client if he or she has a legal problem
- Advise client about the possibility of appealing the case after trial
- Write legal letters on behalf of the client
- Provide information about settling the dispute without going to court
- Tell the client about the strengths and weaknesses of the case
- Tell the client what legal options they have
- Advise the client how a judge can apply the law to the facts of the case
- Represent the client in legal matters
- Deal with other people involved in the case
- Collect money owed to the client after the case has been won
- Take the case to an appeal court
- Take the case to trial
- Negotiate a settlement
- Complete and file court forms
- Start the court process
Thus, a lawyer will try to settle the case by negotiating with the other party. In case the settlement is not possible, then the lawyer may represent you in court. It is the duty of the lawyer to present your case in court, to the best of his or her capability.
Tips to find the lawyer
A lot of things need to be considered when choosing a lawyer as the lawyer is the person who will be advocating your case till the dispute has been settled. Therefore, you should look for a lawyer who has:
- Excellent communication skills
- Sound knowledge about law and can explain the law to you
- Recommended by someone whom you trust
- Vast years of experience with any kind of legal issues
Once you hire the right lawyer, you can expect the lawyer to provide you different options that will help in solving the legal issue without going to court. However, keep in mind that the lawyer can give you legitimate advice, but he or she will not make verdicts for you. As a client you will need to keep yourself engaged in the case and you must provide instructions to the lawyer about how to progress at every stage of the way.
Ronald Ozer is a law student from California. He has interest in anime and loves to take part in sports and is a great fan of LA Chargers. He also has interest in computers and technologies.